Our Orthodontists understand that maintaining a healthy diet is crucial, especially when you have braces. While braces work wonders in aligning your teeth and giving you a beautiful smile, they also require some dietary adjustments to ensure their effectiveness and prevent any damage. In this blog post, we will discuss why there are foods you shouldn’t eat or avoid with braces, as well as provide you with a list of the top 5 foods to eat and avoid when you have braces.
Why There Are Foods You Should Eat or Avoid with Braces
Braces are delicate appliances that require care and attention. Certain foods can pose a risk to the brackets and wires, potentially causing damage or even extending your treatment time. Hard, sticky, or crunchy foods can easily get stuck in your braces or exert excessive pressure, leading to broken brackets or wires. By understanding which foods to eat or avoid, you can protect your braces and ensure a smooth orthodontic journey.
Top 5 Foods to Eat When You Have Braces
- Soft Fruits and Vegetables: Opt for softer options like bananas, berries, cooked vegetables, and mashed potatoes. These foods are gentle on your braces and provide essential nutrients for a healthy diet.
- Dairy Products: Milk, yogurt, and cheese are excellent sources of calcium and vitamin D. They are also soft and easy to chew, making them ideal for individuals with braces.
- Soft Meats: Tender meats such as chicken, fish, and lean beef are great options for braces wearers. Remember to cut them into smaller, bite-sized pieces and chew with your back molars to avoid any unnecessary strain on your braces.
- Grains and Pasta: Cooked rice, pasta, and soft bread are braces-friendly alternatives to hard and chewy grains. These options are easy to eat and won’t cause any discomfort.
- Smoothies and Soups: Blended fruits and vegetables or warm soups are not only delicious but also a convenient way to consume essential nutrients. They are easy to consume and won’t put your braces at risk.
Top 5 Foods to Avoid When You Have Braces
- Hard Candies: Sticky candies can easily get stuck in your braces, making them difficult to remove and cause brackets to come unglued. Additionally, the excessive sugar content can lead to tooth decay, which can complicate your orthodontic treatment.
- Popcorn: Popcorn kernels can get lodged between your teeth and braces, causing discomfort or even damage. It’s best to avoid this crunchy snack during your orthodontic treatment.
- Nuts and Seeds: While nuts and seeds are nutritious, they can be hard and difficult to chew with braces. Opt for nut butters or consume them in a ground or blended form instead.
- Hard and Crunchy Snacks: Hard pretzels, chips, and crackers should be avoided as they can break your braces or get stuck in them. Choose softer alternatives for a braces-friendly snack.
- Carbonated and Sugary Drinks: Carbonated beverages and sugary drinks can contribute to tooth decay and enamel erosion. It’s best to stick to water or opt for sugar-free alternatives to protect your teeth and braces.
Schedule Your Appointment Today!
Our Orthodontists are committed to providing you with the best orthodontic care and guidance throughout your treatment. If you have any questions or concerns about your braces or would like to schedule an appointment, our Orthodontists are here to help. Search for an Orthodontist near you!